Monday, August 27, 2012

The Flight to Roma

Surprisingly enough, I had a particularly interesting flight over. My travel was split into two flights, one from San Diego to Newark (boringgggg) and the other from Newark to Roma.

The first flight is hardly worth mentioning as the person next to me was a boring woman who worked for the government and was on a business trip.

However, on the flight from Newark to Roma I had an awesome time. I got to sit up in first class with massive chairs, movies, and tv out the ying yang to enjoy, as well as plenty of complimentary food and drink.

The flight was especially cool because the person sitting next to me happened to be a Pilot who was on vacation to Italy with his wife, who had lived in Florence for a time. Meeting him was particularly interesting as he told me all about his life and how he became a pilot, he gave me plenty of life advice, and even shared with me an article about Chris Jeon, a UCLA student who decided to join the Libyan rebels against the Giddafi merely because he was bored with his cubicle lifestyle and wanted to really experience something.

Between the article and the conversations that I had with this Pilot I felt fairly inspired going into my 3 1/2 month foray into Italy to do whatever I could to enjoy myself and find things that are fulfilling in my life for me. It turns out that the pilot had such a good time talking to me that he left me his card with his phone number and email address. I'm not quite sure what I would do with that information, but I enjoyed the fact that he felt the urge to give it to me.

The flight was also legit because I managed to convince the waitress that I am 21 and therefore got alcoholic drinks complimentary, being as I was a first class customer. It was easy enough: she asked me if I was 21, I said yes, and she said okay here's your wine! I thoroughly enjoyed my white wine and my Glenlivet scotch on the rocks as well as my delicious short rib dinner followed by some vanilla ice cream with butterscotch, nuts, and whipped cream.

Needless to say, I had a very enjoyable flight over and feel ready to begin my Italian experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment